How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109301
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im International Student in USA and I want to start my business

This answer was rated:

I'm International Student in USA and I want to start my business but I don't know how , beside my visa is F1? My business is website to sell handbags in Middle East, but i dont know from where i could get the handbags ?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

You are asking how you can do the business without hurting your F-1 status? How much money do you have to invest in the business? Will you be hiring someone to run it for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much, I ll rate you positively when someone help me , no worries about bonuses

Yes that is my question how can i do my business by student visa F-1

I have 20 thousand $

maybe i will hire someone to run the work or i could run the work by myself

Unfortunately, with such a low investment amount, you would not be able to get an E visa nor an L visa status. For L visa you would need a business outside of the U.S. as well as one inside of the U.S. and they like to see $100,000 or more of an investment. For an E visa, you would not need a business outside of the U.S., but you would have to be from a country that has a treaty with the U.S. plus they look for a $200,000 investment or more. Either could be done with less of an investment, but I think $20,000 is too low. Since you most likely will not be able to get either of those visas, you will need to maintain your F-1 status and for that, you can open the business and own it, but you cannot run it nor can you receive any compensation in any form for any work that you do for the company. Basically, don't work for the company. You can just receive dividends on the profits, that's about it. So you would need to hire someone to run it and work for it. You cannot participate. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you