How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109656
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen, born in California in 1979. At 14, my parents

This answer was rated:

I am a US citizen, born in California in 1979.
At 14, my parents moved to Lebanon, and we have been living here ever since.
My wife is now pregnant with my son, if she gives birth in Lebanon, will my son be a US citizen?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Unfortunately, no. To pass on U.S. Citizenship automatically, you had to have U.S. Citizenship and physically present in the U.S. for at least 5 years AND at least 2 of those years had to have been after you turned 14. Since you went to Lebanon after turning 14, you would have to prove that after age 14 until the date of the birth of your child, you had enough trips to the U.S. that amount to more years of physical presence if you had 3 years previous to turning 14 as a U.S. Citizen. If you did not, then you will need to apply for your child to first become a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident, then move with you to the U.S. and then once there, you can file an N-600 and get a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship since your child would meet the other provision of the Child Citizenship Act. Here is a link:

I am truly sorry. I know this is not the news that you wanted to hear. I know you wanted your child to be a U.S. Citizen automatically, but that will not happen if he and you do not meet the requirements. At least there is an alternative available. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you