How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109619
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a UK citizen who has come to the U.S. I need to get my

This answer was rated:

I am a UK citizen who has come to the U.S. I need to get my B1/B2 visa. Can I get it from within the U.S? If so where? If not. What are my options? Do I have to go all the way back to the UK just to get it. I want to find a job in the superyacht industry. So couldnt apply in the UK as didnt have the ships papers or a promise from a Captain here. It seems a catch 22 situation. As I can't get a boat without a Captains approval. However I can't work illegally here in the U.S as I don't want to be deported for working illegally. I have heard if you 'volunteer' on a non U.S vessel whilst its in U.S. Then get employed by the vessel once in international waters. PLease can anyone clear this up for me. As I don't want to get in trouble.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

I may have some bad news for you. I hope you did not enter the U.S. on an ESTA Visa Waiver. Did you? And if so, how long ago did you enter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately I did come in on the ESTA and I am allowed in the U.S (not to work of course) until 31st December. This is a private and confidential conversation isnt it? You can't pass this on to immigration?

There is no privacy on this website, per se, almost anyone can read the information written here, but your full name is XXXXX XXXXX nor is any of your private information. At the end of our conversation, I can this question locked down for privacy.

Unfortunately, the ESTA is one of the worst to have as you cannot change status to anything else while on it. The only options are a U.S. Citizen immediate relative that petitions for you or winning an Asylum case or similar protection. So you would have to leave from the U.S., but there is a small chance that Canada could process your case. It is a possibility, not a probability. You can ask the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Canada if they will process a B-2 visa for you, for example, but there is no guarantee that they will do it for you. So you may have no choice but to go back to the UK to do it. I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you