How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108639
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a Canadian boyfriend cohabitate in the US with US girlfriend

This answer was rated:

Can a Canadian boyfriend cohabitate in the US with US girlfriend if he maintains a residence in Canada? How often can he make the border crossing?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Well, then he really isn't a Canadian citizen if he needs to get a work visa for Canada. Even as a Canadian citizen, he would have 6 months maximum per stay and at some point they would deny him entry. The same if he did not have Canadian citizenship but just UK citizenship. With UK citizenship he would be limited to 90 days per trip and a brief trip of less than 30 days into Canada would not "reset" the 90 days. And also, as some point, they would not let him back into the U.S. Maybe not the first or second time, but when they eventually find out he is living in the U.S., even though he is working outside, they will not let him back in. Worse, if they discover a relationship with a U.S. Citizen, and even worse if they catch him in a lie. If they catch him in a lie about it, it could become a 5 year ban or a permanent ban to ever coming back unless he gets a very hard to get waiver. Unfortunately, we are not like the EU where it is easy to cross borders and live in different countries if you are a EU citizen. It is difficult to be going back and forth between the U.S. and Canada even having Canadian citizenship which he does not have. The better solution would probably be for both to live in Canada and visit the U.S. from time to time, but the U.S. should not find out about his relationship with a U.S. Citizen or they most likely would not let him in. He cannot lie about anything, but he should not volunteer that information either.

I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you. The Canadian system is much better and much more flexible, so she should have an easier time living there and so should he. Much harder for him to live in the U.S. even though he plans to work in Canada. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you positively (not the state of the often unjust laws which I have no control over) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you feel I have earned one, bonuses are always appreciated. To request me in the future, make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 4 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions