Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

my wife was granted political asylum. i got the green card

a derivative ( dependent )...
my wife was granted political asylum. i got the green card a derivative ( dependent ). we want to divorce now. my question is if its gonna affect my green card after i divorce i got it for 10 years on 7.21.11 , my second question is if i got my residence on 7.21.11 when i can apply for a citizen ( i got my green card based on political asylum ) , thanks
10/5/2013
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

I see that you have 5 posted questions and you have not rated any of the answers that have been provided to you. Do you understand that it is very important to rate the experts that have provided you with answers? If you understand that, then let me know if you have suffered any abuse from your spouse.

no , no abuse. i will leave u a very good feedback but first i need to find out if i can do that by getting the answers

Of course. If you pay for a service, you should get answers. I was just concerned that because you have 5 questions and 0 positive ratings that you were not aware of how to use the site. We experts only get credit if you rate us positively. So 4 other experts provided you with answers that never got credit for their answers to you. If you weren't satisfied, that's ok, but if you were, you should go back and rate them.

Anyway, because you have a 10 year card, it is not a conditional card. So you are ok to divorce. But because your spouse is not yet a U.S. Ctitizen and you cannot prove abuse, then you will need to wait until you have enough time as a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. You would count 4 years and 9 months from the date on your green card where it says, "Resident since..." At that point is when you can file an N-400 to apply for U.S. Citizenship.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

so basically if i got my green card on 7.21.11 i can apply for u.s citizen on 06.21.15 ? and when u say abuse, what does it mean? and if i was abused i can become a citizen earlier? and another question: if i want to travel do i need to apply for a travel passport and if yes how i can i apply for it. thanks

and by the way i already rated some of the lowers that answered my questions, i just did not know how the web site works. thanks for reminding me!

You are very welcome. But don't invent abuse if that does not exist because you could lose your green card because of it. Do you have police reports or medical reports to prove abuse?

no, i dont have it and i dont want to invent them.

Ok. Then focus on what you have. What is the date that is says on your green card? Not the date that you got it, but the date that it says on your green card?

7.21.11 this is the date on my green card

what about traveling ?

Then it would be 4 years and 9 months after the date on the card. So after 4/22/15. Traveling, you must have 30 months out of the last 60 months before filing physically in the U.S. And you must have no trips longer than 180 days and no multiple trips that add up to 180 days in any 12 month period. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.