How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109313
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi - my H1B visa expires next year. If I quit my job today,

This answer was rated:

hi - my H1B visa expires next year. If I quit my job today, will I need to leave the US immediately? Or can I stay in the US under H1B status without working for my current company?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Unfortunately, there is no longer a 30 day unofficial grace period that USCIS will look the other way if you can find another H-1B job within 30 days. So if you quit, you have to leave immediately. You can file for a change of status before you quit and then you can quit while the change of status is pending and stay as long as the change of status is pending, but you cannot just quit and stay in the U.S. You can also file an H-1B transfer before you quit and begin working for the new H-1B employer as soon as USCIS gets the forms that you file. Other than those, of course you have the option to marry a U.S. Citizen (for love, of course), and asylum if you fear persecution in your home country because of your race, nationality, religion, social group or political opinion.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the often unjust laws which I have no control over) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you feel I have earned one, bonuses are always appreciated. To request me in the future, make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you