Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My OPT expires on Sept. 30 2013. I filed for my Green Card

AOS on July 15th and...
My OPT expires on Sept. 30 2013. I filed for my Green Card AOS on July 15th and sent in additional evidence requested on Sept 3rd. I still have not received my EAD. Can I continue working at my place of employment even after my EAD expires while waiting for AOS to go through? I filled for the AOS through my spouse who is an American Citizen by birth.

Thank you!
Devina
9/27/2013
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Technically you should not, but since you are married to a u.s. citizen any period of work that is not covered by an EAD will automatically be forgiven so you are fine to continue working if your employer is ok with it. You should have your EAD within the next few weeks. I hope this helps clarify.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER on the subject line. Thank you!

Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer

Thank you so much for the prompt reply! Just a follow up question... Can I expect them to ask me this at the interview and deny me a green card because of it?

No problem. Typically they will not ask because you are married to a u.s. citizen they know it is forgiven and no you would not be denied a green card because of it. I have had clients who work illegally for years and then marria a USC and no one blinks an eye, so you are fine. I hope this helps clarify. Thanks and best regards.
Hi Devina,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Lisa
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer