How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Georgetown Lawyer Your Own Question
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Georgetown Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Didnt know I was supposed to update my green card at age 14.

This answer was rated:

Didn't know I was supposed to update my green card at age 14. My green card has no exp date and I was only five in the picture. I want to naturalize but I'm not sure if I have to file I-90 or go ahead with the N-400? If I file N-400 will they hold my application until I get my I-90 done if that is required first? I hope to pay the $680 only but if I have to do I-90 that is another $400. It would be worse if they don't old the application and I had to pay another $680 to refile N-400. Thank you for your help!

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.


Unfortunately, most people didn't get the memo about having to replace those old cards that didn't have expiration date. The good news for you is that you can just go ahead and file N-400 for citizenship. Even though your old green card was never renewed you are still a permanent resident. The card is not your status, it is only proof of your status. You do not need to do the I-90 and are free to go directly to the N-400. I hope this helps clarify.


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER on the subject line. Thank you!

Georgetown Lawyer and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Mai,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,

Related Immigration Law Questions