Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am an egyptian citizen with a permanent US visa but an expired

egyptian passport. I need to...
I am an egyptian citizen with a permanent US visa but an expired egyptian passport. I need to travel home in less than 20 days. how can I obtain a passport to allow me to travel to egypt and return to the US
9/27/2013
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Have you consulted with the Consul General of the Egyptian Embassy on obtaining an emergency travel document?

Judith

No. Is there a temporary passport of the US that I can obtain instead. My wish is to return to the US. My business and family are here. I am visiting my mother in Egypt who is sick.

I am sorry that your mother has taken ill. I understand the urgency of needing to travel there to check on her.

However, you are not a US citizen and have no grounds for a travel document. The US only issues "white passports" = travel documents to people who are stateless, such as those granted asylum.

You are a citizen of Egypt despite having adopted the US as your home and they are the government who has to issue you your renewed passport. Here is the link to the web page on their website

http://www.egyptembassy.net/service_lp.html

You will need to contact them first thing tomorrow morning and explain to them the urgency of your situation and find out the procedures for them to issue you an emergency travel document.

Please let me know if I can answer any further questions for you about applying for naturalization as a US citizen. You cannot do that quickly enough to travel to see your ill mother, but it may be something you want to consider applying for.

Judith

Thank you Judith. What does stateless mean? I am not familiar with asylum.

Stateless means that you have no country you can call your own such as being a refugee who cannot return to their country.

Asylum is when you seek the protection of the US to be allowed to stay here because if you return to your country of citizenship you would be persecuted based on your race, religion, or political beliefs.

Neither of those situations fit you. You are a US permanent resident.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer