Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am a 22 year old Canadian Citizen and would like to join

I am a 22 year old Canadian Citizen and would like to join the US Marines. How can i work for the US marines in the USA? any sort of visa process?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Just please remember that often the law is not good news. IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Well, you first have to become a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. There are 5 ways to do that. They are through family, through employment, through asylum, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.

Through asylum, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases the investment has to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify (Canadians do not qualify).

I am truly sorry, but unless you can become a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident first, I don't believe that you will be able to service in the U.S. military service.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!