How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109615
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a Jordanian family. My 10 year and 15 year kids were

This answer was rated:

We are a Jordanian family. My 10 year and 15 year kids were admitted in K12 private -none boarding- school in Virginia. My wife a holder of B2 visa (valid till May 2018) escorted them. The immigration officer gave her admission for 6 months only where she has to leave the country by end of Jan 2014.

How can she extend her stay in the US to take care of the kids till the end of academic year in June 2014.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Just please remember that often the law is not good news. IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

When did she enter the U.S. last? Is she still in the U.S.? When she entered, did she explain that she was accompanying the children and asked for a 1 year stay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she entered the US on Aug 1st, 2013

Yes she is still there,

Yes but the officer said that he is not convinced that she has the intention to leave back to Jordan at the end of her stay.

So how much time did the officer give her? And what evidence did she take with her to prove that she would go home at the end of their studies?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The officer gave her 6 months till Feb 1st, 2014


I also escorted them on their trip to the US, but now I am back in Jordan. He did not ask for any proof. I told him that I have a business and a company back home and can show him the proof. He stated that he is sure that I will go back to Jordan, but he is not sure that my wife will go back.



Well, she has two options:

1) She can leave the U.S. and then come back in with the appropriate proof of her strong ties to Jordan and other proof that she will go back home and then she asks for 1 year on the B-2 and then she can get 6 month extensions after that, or

2) Around December or January, she can file an I-539 and ask for an extension of status for 6 months and explain what has happened and show the evidence that she has to prove that she will go back home. They will not extend her more than 6 months at a time.

Here is an official link to the regulation on this where you would look at note 14.4 on the top of the 26th page:

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you