How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108707
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Same question as before.

This answer was rated:

Same question as before.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Just please remember that often the law is not good news. IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Are you looking for a 2nd opinion or you accidentally posted again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't mean to post it twice...I got caught in a loop...but a second opinion would be nice.

Yes, what my colleague said was correct. One does not abandon U.S. Citizenship. The UK and the U.S. both recognize dual nationality. So your father would have had to have done something specific to give up U.S. Citizenship and just living in the UK would not have been enough. You can take a look at these links:

And yes, you should file a G-639 FOIA to get a full copy of his U.S. immigration file.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much to both of you for such quick responses. I shall follow up on the links immediately. By the way, can I get British citizenship since he was not a Brit "by descent" since all his family from way back were British? After this I will quit bothering you guys and give you a superlative rating.

It's not a bother. You are paying for a service and deserve quick and correct responses. But at far as your follow-up question, I am a U.S. immigrationaw attorney and I can only tell you about U.S. law. So I cannot tell you if you can get British citizenship or not. Sorry about that. But please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you