How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father, who was born in London, UK (to British parents),

This answer was rated:

My father, who was born in London, UK (to British parents), died a few months ago in the UK. He immigrated to the US where he lived for 25 years and was naturalized an American citizen in 1966. In 1983 he returned to the UK where he lived for 30 years until his death. As far as I know, he still had dual US-UK citizenship. The solicitor handling his estate in the UK said that no passports (or other ID) could be found at his home when he was transferred to a nursing home with Alzheimer's. I have been getting the runaround at the US Dept of State, Passport Office who have not answered my enquiry (by mail or phone) and I have yet to hear back from the American Embassy in London. How do I find out if he still had American citizenship?
Thank you for your inquiry. A naturalized U.S. citizen does not lose his or her citizenship simply by leaving the United States. A U.S. citizen would need to proceed through a formal revocation process to lose his or her U.S. citizenship.

Absent evidence that your father revoked his citizenship, he remained a US citizen.

In order to obtain written evidence of your father's US citizenship, you may wish to file a FOIA request with USCIS using the link below:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is FOIA and USCIS? Also, the web address does not all appear on this page. Is there any way to display it completely? Yes, the rub is that there is no evidence of him revoking his US citizenship and one couldn't ask him for a reliable answer with his Alzheimer's.

Thank you for your response. FOIA is a Freedom of Information Request which is request that you could submit to request documents and other paperwork pertaining to your father. USCIS, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, is the agency that regulates US immigration with respect to visas and US citizenship.

You can type the link in your browser or search the USCIS for FOIA requests. The FOIA should provide you information as to his citizenship. If you need a replacement, Certificate of Citizenship, it may be necessary to engage the services of an immigration attorney as this may be a complex process.
Wilton A. Person and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much to both of you for such quick responses. I shall follow up on the links immediately. By the way, can I get British citizenship since he was not a Brit "by descent" since all his family from way back were British? After this I will quit bothering you guys and give you a superlative rating.

You are very welcome. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with or licensed to discuss Britain's citizenship laws. However, I believe that the site has a UK immigration category that you can post your question.

Related Immigration Law Questions