How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12303
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Filing for divorce after joint submission of form 751

This answer was rated:

Filing for divorce after joint submission of form 751
Hi there! Thank you for using this service. My screen name isXXXXX and I'll be helping you with your questions today. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service once I have finished assisting you to your satisfaction. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

I am here to assist you with your question. I hope I can be of some help. I see you are trying to do the I-751 after a divorce. However I don't see a specific question about this.

What is your specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I recently found out that my wife has been cheating on me and would like to get a divorce. However, we have already jointly submitted form 751 and now they are requesting for more evidence on our marriage that we are unable to provide. Is there a legal solution for us to end our marriage now?
Hi there,

Thanks for the clarification.

Sure it is possible to end your marriage now, and continue the process without your wife through a waiver of the joint filing requirement.

But you will have to inform the USCIS that this is happening. The USCIS will put your case on hold, and ask you to provide proof of the dissolved marriage and proof that at the time you got married, you did so in good faith.

This is the lawful and appropriate way to go about this process. And as long as you can show that the marriage was entered into in good faith, you should be able to go forward and get your 10-year card, without the assistance of your ex-wife.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job. I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, just go to Ask Longhorn Lawyer and make sure you write "FOR LONGHORN" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. That is the only way to guarantee that I will assist you.

Thank you!
Expert James and 4 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you