How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109283
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i filed I-539 to change the status from J-1 to B-2 couple

This answer was rated:

i filed I-539 to change the status from J-1 to B-2 couple of days ago and forgot to attach a check (fee). is it too late to send it there? should i overnight it? what is the best way to handle it? Can I call someone? If so, where? Please help, i am nervous.  

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Just please remember that often the law is not good news. IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

When does your J-1 expire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My "grace period" expires in a week. I just want to travl for couple of months and planning on flying back home by November-December. Is it possible to send a check in a separate letter to make sure they will put it together with my application?

Your best solution would be to file a new I-539 with the proper fee and do it NOW. As long as you file it, overnight it, certified return receipt, the filing should be accepted. The other one would be rejected for no fee. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you