How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11897
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Immigration law question: Hi, Id like to transfer one

This answer was rated:

Immigration law question:


I'd like to transfer one of my managers from my European Company to the US one. Temporary 2-3 years assignment.
As I understand from my research L-1A visa made for this scenario.

-how long does it take to get approval for the visa ?
-do I need to apply here in the US for her or can we get the process started at the local US Embassy

Thank you
Hi Herbert. Thank you for using this service. My screen name isXXXXX and I'll be helping you with your questions today. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service once I have finished assisting you to your satisfaction. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

Let's see if I can help you out with this.

QUESTION: how long does it take to get approval for the visa ?
ANSWER: The entire process will take some time - approximately 5 to 6 months. This is because there are a few steps that are required in this process. First, you, the employer, must file the petition and get approval of the same. Once the approval is granted, the approval notice must be shipped to the applicant, who will apply for the non-immigrant L1 visa at the US consulate or embassy closest to where she lives. Of course this timeline could vary, depending on how busy the USCIS is, and how busy the US consulate is, as it relates to scheduling the applicant for an interview.

QUESTION: do I need to apply here in the US for her or can we get the process started at the local US Embassy
ANSWER: The petition must be filed by the sponsoring employer in the US, and it must be approved here first. You will request consular processing on the petition, so that the USCIS informs the appropriate office of the result and intention to apply for the L1 visa stamp.

Here is information about how to get the L-1 visa, once the petition in the US is already approved:

I hope I have answered your questions. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job. I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, just go to Ask Longhorn Lawyer and make sure you write "FOR LONGHORN" in the subject or at the beginning of your question. That is the only way to guarantee that I will be assisting you.

Thank you!
Expert James and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you