How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Georgetown Lawyer Your Own Question
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Georgetown Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother-in-law wants to apply for citizenship, but cannot

This answer was rated:

My mother-in-law wants to apply for citizenship, but cannot learn the language. We have tried Rossetta Stone, but to no avail. She has been here six years as a legal resident. Is there any way she can be exempt from taking the English test?

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.


Does she have a medical or psychological disability?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No disabilities. 76 years of age. Married but husband still in the Philippines

Thanks Lee. Unfortunately if she has no medical or psychological disability she will have to wait until she has lived in the u.s. as a permanent resident for 15 years, otherwise there is no way to waive the english requirement. I have seen cases where a person has been diagnosed as unable to learn english because of age, your mother may fall into this category. if you can get a psychologist to certify this, you may have a chance to waive English. I hope this helps clarify.


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER on the subject line. Thank you!



Georgetown Lawyer and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Lee,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,