How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108963
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, My father-in-law trying to get married with

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
My father-in-law trying to get married with his chinese girl friend in US. ( She has tourist visa, she will have to going back to China after this.she has job in china )What document they both need to register the marriage in US.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Where will they be getting married? Is it just that they want to register the marriage or he wants to file for her to get Residency? If he wants to file for her, why doesn't she stay and do it here? Does she have to go back to China? Does she realize that she will most likely not be able to even visit the U.S. for 9 months or so while her paperwork is processing to come back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They will get married in MA.US. If he file his girl friend's residency in US. how long dose she has to stay in us? Because she has job in China. If they just want to register marriage in us and file her residency later , what document they need ?
She will be stuck in China probably for at least 6 months but most likely 9 months, maybe more. If they marry and file all the paperwork in the U.S. she should be able to travel a few months after filing.

After they marry, you will need to file an adjustment package. This includes the following forms: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), G-325a (Biographic data - one for each of them), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). They will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at

The supporting evidence that they would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of then have been married previously, proof of his U.S. Citizenship, proof of her legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents of his to prove his income over the last year at least.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, she should get a work permit and Advance Parole (that will allow her to travel). About 5 to 7 months after filing they should get a marriage interview. If all goes well, a few weeks later she should get a Residency status (green card).

She should not travel until she has the Advance Parole approved and in hand which as I said can take 3 to 5 months. If she wants to try to expedite it, here is a link:


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions