Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My question is my husband went to the emergency room twice

before he became a legal...
My question is my husband went to the emergency room twice before he became a legal citizen. We applied for emergency medicaid, but they said that is only for pregnant women. Then we were given the run around. The hospital said it exists, but they can not help me. Then I called the children and families again. They said that it does exist and to apply even though time has past. I then applied and he was denied. The reason was that he is not eligible. They did not explain why he was not eligible. He had gotten emergency medicaid for something before in ny in 2008. Here they say it does not exist. Do you know if this still exists and how we can apply. He still has bills from these visits.
9/6/2013
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

Medicaid is a state run program. NY can do what it wants to, regardless of what FL decides to do. So comparing the benefits offered in NY to those offered in FL does no good.

Only the state can tell you whether he is eligible for Emergency Medicaid. If FL says he is not, there is nothing immigration or NY can do about it.

Here is the information about Emergency Medicaid in Florida: "Noncitizens, who are Medicaid eligible except for their citizenship status, may be eligible for Medicaid to cover a serious medical emergency. This includes the emergency labor and delivery of a child. Before Medicaid may be authorized, applicants must provide proof from a medical professional stating the treatment was due to an emergency condition. The proof also must include the dates of the emergency."

If you notice, it says that before your husband can be eligible for Emergency Medicaid, he must have proof from a medical professional that the treatment was due to a "serious" medical emergency, including the dates of the emergency. So if no medical professional provides proof that it was a serious medical emergency in accordance with the state Medicaid office, then Emergency Medicaid will not be issued. That is a requirement.

It also says that an alien "may" be eligible for Emergency Medicaid assistance. That indicates that the state of FL has the sole discretion to decide who gets Emergency Medicaid and who does not. There is no "right" to benefits of this sort. They are authorized in the discretion of the state Medicaid office.

Please know that I always do my best to help customers come up with a good solution, but from time to time, the law does not provide a good solution to every situation. Unfortunately, I cannot change that. I am only here as an information source, so please do not hold bad news against me by giving me a negative rating.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, go to Ask Longhorn Lawyer and make sure you write "FOR LONGHORN" in the subject or at the beginning of your question.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Thank you for your answer. I do have a follow up question. You are right I had forgotten to mention that the rep in fl did say to provide proof. However, when I called the hospital to get proof they said they never give that and had no idea how I would get that. Do you have any advice on how to get proof it was a medical emergency. Also, do you know why they did not request that and just denied him. Would it be smart to appeal since it gives me that option on the denial letter? Thanks so much for your help.
It say my question is finished, but I replied for a follow up.
Heliomar,

QUESTION:Do you have any advice on how to get proof it was a medical emergency.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, if the hospital doesn't want to give you proof, they do not have to. Those determinations are made only by the hospital management, and cannot be compelled unless they are attached to a legal proceeding. You might want to ask for his medical records, in general, and submit those. But you cannot compel the hospital to provide you with proof or a statement for your husband. If they don't want to give it, they do not have to.

QUESTION: Also, do you know why they did not request that and just denied him. Would it be smart to appeal since it gives me that option on the denial letter? Thanks so much for your help.

ANSWER: I don't know why they didn't request anything. I do not work for the state of Florida and I do not work for the medicaid office. I am an immigration attorney only.

It doesn't hurt to appeal, so you may as well try. But it doesn't mean any result will be different, unless you provide a reason for it, including but not limited to new evidence.

In all of this, you need to keep in mind that your husband is not entitled to medicaid, even in an emergency. That means he doesn't have a right to it, but is afforded the privilege of being granted it, if the state office so chooses.
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer