Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I have an Oath Ceremony coming up within a week, and am very

I have an Oath Ceremony coming up within a week, and am very excited about it!

The other week, though, I was pulled over for having a brake light out, and cited a $35 fine. I have sent in payment for it. The back of the paper I hand in asks a number of questions, and one is "Have you been arrested, indicted, cited ... including traffic violations.".

Would checking "Yes" to this put the ceremony or citizenship in jeopardy? I don't have a copy of the citation, as I sent it with payment.

I'm guessing I shouldn't put "No", as they'd probably do checks!

Thank you!

Andy, UK citizen soon to be US citizen.
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

If it is simply a moving violation or traffic violation such as this, then no, it will not cause you any issues for the oath ceremony or eligibility for naturalization. These types of traffic violations, while requested, are not of the sort that will cause you any problems in this process.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it was just a moving violation, with "brake light" cited, fine paid.

So I should check "Yes", and then tell them what it was when they ask? There isn't any room to write any explanations on the form, otherwise I'd do that.

Better that than checking "No", and havinf repercussions!

Correct. It specifically asks for information that applies in your case - "including traffic violations."

So answer yes where applicable, and then provide an explanation on an attached sheet. Also include any documentation, including all court documents, related to this.

Thank you!