Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

i have a canadian passport if my i20 is terminate do i need

i have a canadian passport if my i20 is terminate do i need to exit the county?
Are you currently enrolled in a US school with a student visa?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no I am not enrolled in a US school with a student visa, but i have a canadian passport i don't need a visa to come to US.

The I-20 is related to a student visa so I am not sure what document that you are referring to as being terminated. I will opt out and open your question to the other immigration attorneys.
You don't require a visitor visa if you are Canadian. But if you are a student and your school issued an I-20, then the implication is that you are in F-1 student status in the US. So if you entered as a Canadian visitor, and you did not change your status to student status, then your I-20 was never useful. You require an I-20 to be eligible for F-1 student status or F-1 student visa.

So did you enter the US and get issued an I-94 that info takes you are in student status or ever change your status to student status? Or did you enter as a Canadian visitor and that is the status you think you are in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i enter US as a visitor, i didn't use I-20 to enter US, because i know that my I-20 is going to be terminate. my school just sent my an E-mail few days ago that my I-20 is going to be terminate. Do i need to go out of US and come back enter as a visitor again?

The I-20 alone doesn't give you any status. How long have you been in the US as a Canadian visitor? When did you enter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i entered about 1 month ago, is there going to a problem? so the termination of I-20 won't kick me out of US?

The I-20 has nothing to do with your current status as a visitor. So no, termination of the I-20 will not force you to leave. You can stay in the US for up to 6 months as a Canadian visitor. If you intend to be a student, then you have to leave the US, get a F-1 student visa (which requires a valid I-20) and renter the US using that visa.

But again, you are in the US as a visitor now, so the terminal action of the I-20 will not force you to leave. Again you have a maximum of 6 months in the US as a Canadian visitor.

I hope I've answered your questions. Please make sure to give me a rating for my customer service, since this is the only way I get credit for assisting you today. Thank you in advance for your Positive rating.
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Write FOR JAMES to get my help!