How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108991
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi XXXXX have applied I485 and received EAD : (1) What

This answer was rated:

Hi XXXXX have applied I485 and received EAD :
(1) What do I need to do to change jobs
(2) Is there any constraint in job change.
(3) Can I change my job function as I change job.
(4) Can I take a break from job on EAD or I have to employed always.
How is it that you are getting the green card?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My employer has filed for EB2 process. My I140 is approved and Priority date is March 2012.

How long has the I-485 been pending?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for reply.


Its not filed yet. I want to understand what would be benefits of EAD once I485 is filed. I see many folks with EAD but pending GC.


This is situation I will get into in future. ( I am inquiring all this now as It may help me in deciding on accepting a Non-US job offer)


When your I-485 is filed and you get an EAD, you can change employment to the same or similar job if your I-485 has been pending longer than 180 days and you would not affect your GC processing. But as I said, it has to be pending longer than 180 days and it has to be the same or similar employment.

After the I-485 is approved, you SHOULD stay at that job for at least 180 days before moving on to whatever job you like, no restrictions. Just wait at least 180 days so that USCIS doesn't feel the need to investigate your case because you moved on too quickly after getting your green card.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions