Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am a Permanent Resident for more than 3 years. My wife is

a student here. Can I...
I am a Permanent Resident for more than 3 years. My wife is a student here. Can I sponsor her for green card and how long is the wait? We are from Romania and the Visa buletin shows CURENT. Thanks
8/25/2013
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

There is NO wait if she files her I-485 with your I-130 before September 30th. She would get her EAD and permission to travel within 90-120 days. Your interview would be scheduled in approx. 6 months.

We are not sure if the visa numbers will retrogress in the future because there is no way to predict how many FB2A applications are being filed in Aug & Sept so time is of the essence.

Here is what you will need: Find instructions for each here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I-130 Immigrant Petition (signed by US citizen spouse)

I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (signed by alien)

I-765 Employment Authorization Application (signed by alien)

I-131 Application for Travel Document (signed by alien- this
document permits alien to travel during the pendency of their "green card" case)

G-325A Biographic Sheet (one for alien and one for their spouse)

G-1145

A medical examination in a sealed envelope performed by a civil
surgeon (find one here: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

I-864 Affidavit of Support

Two passport sized photos of spouse

Six passport size photos of alien

Copy of alien's passport including all blank pages and I-94

Copy of US citizen birth certificate, natz cert or passport

Copy of spouse's birth certificate

Copy of any divorce decrees

Copy of marriage certificate

One check for the I-130 in the amount of $420

One check for the I-485/765/131 in the amount of $1,070

The
packet get filed at the PO box on Page 6 of the instructions

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

You can read about the process at this site http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=9c8aa6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=9c8aa6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Conditional Resident status is granted for 2 years. You and your
spouse have to file a joint petition to remove this conditional status within
90 days of the 2nd anniversary date of the adjustment approval. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=745218a1f8b73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=4ca43a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer