How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I am a permanent resident and I have recently applied for

This answer was rated:

Hi I am a permanent resident and I have recently applied for my citizenship. My fiance is in Bangladesh and I want him to get here soon. I am currently living with my family but I am a stable full time job and can support him. Which is the best way for him to get here? Fiance visa or we should try for student visa?
Thank you for the question. The K-1 fiance visa is generally a much better option than a student visa if a person is eligible for both visas because it is more direct way for your fiance to obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States.

The process is outlined briefly below:

Step 1) After you become a US citizen, you would file the 129-F with USCIS. and click forms.
Step 2) After the petition is approved, your fiance would fill out the forms sent to him by the National Visa Center.
Step 3) Your fiance would be interviewed at the nearest US consulate
Step 4) Your fiance would enter the US.

Key Points to remember would be that you and your fiance would need to be married within 90 days of his arrival to the US and he would need to adjust status to a lawful permanent resident within those 90 days using Form I-485 or be required to return to her home country.

The eligibility criteria is fairly simple:
a) U.S. citizen spouse
b) Both parties are free to marry
c)genuine intent to marry upon arrival to the US
d)both parties must have met and seen each other in person within the
last two years.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How long does the process take?

The process for the K-1 fiance visa generally takes about seven months or so and the adjustment of status process generally takes about 10 months or so.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So when he applies after getting married, what status will he be during the 10 month period. if he needs to apply for a job or school?

Your future husband would be in what is called a lawful period of status approved by the US Attorney. However, he would be eligible to apply for a work permit using USCIS form I-765 located at under forms which would allow him to work. The I-765 is generally processed in about three months or so.

He would also be eligible to attend school but it would depend upon the specific school's admission requirements.
Wilton A. Person and 4 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you