Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Ive recently met and have fallen in love with a Filipino woman,

I've recently met and have...
I've recently met and have fallen in love with a Filipino woman, and we wish to get married and return to the US. This is a legitimate marriage, not one of convenience. I have planned a trip to see her and hopefully return with her in a month, as either my wife or fiance. She says it's very difficult for her to obtain a visa right now and it would take around 6 months to obtain one.

What are the legal hurdles that we are going to have to overcome exactly, to eventually be Married and in the US, keeping in mind we have only recently met? Would it be easier if I married her and stayed there? Should we get married there or in the US? We just want to be together as soon as possible.
8/23/2013
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

There are essentially three ways to bring her and none are really fast, unfortunately:

1) The K-1 fiancee visa takes 6 to 9 months, but you must have met before during the last two years in order to process it. The I-129F will cost $340 plus a $350 fee for the visa processing fee. After she enters the U.S., then you have to marry and then you have to pay $1070 for the I-485 and she will have to wait about 5 to 7 months and gets another interview that you attend with your new spouse so that she can get Residency.

2) The K-3 spouse visa takes 6 to 9 months, you must be married. The I-129F will cost $340 plus $420 for the I-130, and $350 for the visa processing fee. Then after she enters the U.S., you must still file the I-485 for $1070 and wait for the marriage interview about 5 to 7 months later.

3) The CR-1 visa (or IR-1 if your marriage is more than 2 years old) takes about 1 year or so. You must be married. The fees are $420 for the I-130, $330 for the visa processing fee, $88 for an Affidavit of Support fee. But once she enters the U.S., she enters as a Resident and she does not have to file (or pay for) an I-485 nor does she have to attend an additional interview. She just gets her green card in the mail a few weeks later.

So the K-1 and K-3 are faster but generally more expensive. The CR-1 (and IR-1) are slower, but generally cheaper. And no, there is no middle-visa that she can use to enter the U.S. while that process is pending. She will most likely have to wait outside.

Here is a link to all three:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

I know you won't like this. No one ever does. I have this same conversation 2 or 3 times per day on this website. You will ask, "But what about this...?" and "But what about that...?" Believe me, if there was a quicker way, I would tell you, but the security and fraud concerns of the U.S. outweigh what they believe is a short inconvenience to you. They think that if it is a real relationship, it will survive the delay.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

So since we just met recently option: 1) The K-1 fiancee visa takes 6 to 9 months, but you must have met before during the last two years in order to process it. is not an option right?

It is an option. I didn't say that you have to know each other for a full two years. I said that you must have met each other within the last two years. This is to show immigration that you have seen each other in person at least once during the last two years. Not that you met when you were children and haven't seen each other in 10 years and don't really know much about each other. So yes, the K-1 is an option. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.