How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29006
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My divorce has been filed in CA, but will not be final for

This answer was rated:

My divorce has been filed in CA, but will not be final for 5 months, and there's no way to expedite the process. I've been advised that uncontested Mexican annulment is the fastest and easiest way to ensure I can remarry as close to immediately as possible. My fiance is not a US citizen, so my main concern is that everything goes smoothly with USCIS. Does this advice seem legit?

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Will you establish residence in Mexico?



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was told that residence would be established by proxy, and that this is standard practice in such cases.

Yes, any legal action taken in another country according to their laws and recognized by that country as legal and binding is recognized by the US. That means that USCIS would accept that order of annulment.

You may want to read another family expert on JA's answer to this question which had no immigration law issue


Since your annulment would be legal in Mexico the US would give it full faith and credit and recognize under international principals of law. Therefore, it is legal for purposes of your filing a petition with immigration.



Judith Ludwic and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you