How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28930
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have my green card for 7 years, and i want to apply for my

This answer was rated:

I have my green card for 7 years, and i want to apply for my citizenship. I'm current married, and my wife in not legal in US. I want to know, if i apply, because i have to fill up the i'm married, with who i married, and what is her legal status, i want to know, why and if INS can open a case against her, or if something can happen with her or me. Can i have my case denied because i'm married a illegal immigrant?

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

The answer is that USCIS can report your wife to ICE but they seldom do that because when you get US citizenship she can be sponsored by you and they don't take up their time going after spouses named on citizenship applications.You will just put down "out of status" on the form.

You do not get into any trouble marrying and living with someone with unlawful status.

In my 34 years as an immigration lawyer I have never had a client get into any trouble marrying someone who is here unlawfully.

I have never had a spouse here unlawfully put into removal proceedings.

That doesn't mean it cannot happen, but it should not be something to stop you from becoming a citizen. the risk is very low.




Judith Ludwic and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you