How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108980
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can I become a sponsor for my home aid that is here il

This answer was rated:

how can I become a sponsor for my home aid that is here illegally?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

How did she enter the U.S.? Illegally or with a visa? Which visa? What country is she from? How long ago did she enter the U.S.? How old was she when she entered the U.S.? Please try to answer each question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she entered illegally. she is from Honduras. she has been here for seven years. she was thirty one years old when she got here.

Unfortunately, you really won't be able to help her. Once a person is illegally in the U.S., they normally cannot do anything through employment, investment or studies without leaving the U.S. and if she were to leave the U.S. for you to sponsor her as an employer to come back in the U.S., she would be subject to a 10 year bar that she could not come back unless she got a very hard to get waiver. No one wants to risk that, so no one ever leaves.

Unfortunately, the only forgiveness that existed for entering illegally was under INA 245(i) which states that if she had an I-130, I-140 or Labor Certification properly filed for her ON or BEFORE April 30, 2001 AND she could prove that she was inside the U.S. on December 21, 2000 unless the I-130, I-140 or Labor Certification was filed on or before January 14, 1998, then she could pay a $1000 penalty and adjust status to U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. If she did not have any of those types of applications filed for her before that date, then she has three options:

1) Wait for the immigration reform that comes out. If it is approved the way that they are intending, then she may be able to get Residency if she entered the U.S. early enough.

2) Apply for Asylum (she had to have done this within the 1st year be being in the U.S. unless there are changed country conditions), Withholding of Removal, Convention Against Torture, or Cancellation of Removal. The first three things are if she fears to return to her home country because she believes that she will be specifically targeted due to her race, religion, nationality, social group or political opinion and that she runs a high risk of great bodily injury, torture, or death as a result. The last, Cancellation, she would have to prove that she has at least 10 years in the U.S. AND she must also prove that if she is deported, a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident that depends upon her will suffer exceptional and extremely unusual hardship. This hardship must be something more than emotional separation hardship or financial hardship, so it is difficult to get.

3) If she marries a U.S. Citizen (for love, of course), she could file an I-130 here in the U.S. (which will give her no legal status), but once that I-130 is approved, really the only thing she can do is leave the U.S. and apply to come back in at the U.S. Embassy/consulate in her home country as the spouse of a U.S. Citizen. At that point, they will want to deny her because she entered illegally and stayed. So she would have to apply for an I-601 waiver (forgiveness) and to get this waiver she will have to prove that her spouse will suffer extreme hardship if she is not allowed back in to the U.S. These waivers are very difficult to get. The reason they are difficult to get is because your hardship probably will need to be more than just economic hardship or emotional separation hardship. So because they are difficult to get, no one wants to risk leaving the U.S. and getting stuck outside for 10 years if it isn't granted.

You can look at this link to get more information on I-601 waivers. It is from the U.S. Embassy in Syria, but it is a good description and the process should be similar in all U.S. Embassies.

and here is another link:

And here is a link to what extreme hardship is:,0717-scott.shtm

And about Obama's new law, it isn't a new law. It is a new procedure but I think it could be a trap. Why? Because right now there are millions of undocumented persons in the U.S. that are married to U.S. Citizens and even have U.S. Citizen children but they do not leave because they are afraid to be stuck outside for 10 years. What has changed is that before, a person had to leave the U.S. and spend around 15 months or so while waiting for their appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country and then HOPE that they got approved, but the change is that now they say that the same person can apply inside the U.S., supposedly get a pre-approval, but they still have to leave the U.S. and present themselves to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. So why do I think it may be a trap? Because it could very easily be a way to just get those many millions of people to finally leave the U.S. and once they are outside, they can still be denied the waiver even though they have a "pre-approval". I just don't trust that. So at the very least, I would wait at least 6 months or more after they implement it (which is supposed to be in March of this year) to see how many of those pre-approvals turn out to be true approvals at the end and to see how many of those people actually come back. Here is an official link:


I am truly sorry for the bad news, but the options are very limited at the moment. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions