Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My husband L1 status was cancelled at POE (Mexico) while I

My husband L1 status was cancelled at POE (Mexico) while I was living in Texas, US. They asked him to bring the rest of the family to cancel their visa, too, which we did. They gave us all 30 days to leave. As canadians we can use the same POE to leave and then re-enter as visitors? In these 30 days the public school starts and my kids have been enrolled there in the last 2 years. My husband's company said the cancellation it's a mistake, but they have to re-apply fast (2 weeks processing) for a new L1. Can my kids attend school meantime? What kind of status are we in?
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

QUESTION: As canadians we can use the same POE to leave and then re-enter as visitors?

ANSWER: Yes, you are eligible to do so. But the officer at the port of entry will ultimately, decide to let you in or not. Remember you are given the privilege to enter the US, not the right to enter.

QUESTION: Can my kids attend school meantime?

ANSWER: If they are entering the US as visitors, when their intent is to be going to school, they are violating immigration laws. If their purpose of being in the US is to study, they should not enter on a visitor status. They should enter as students in student visa status.

QUESTION: What kind of status are we in?

ANSWER: If your husband's L-1 status had been revoked, then there is no basis for your dependent status, and the L2 has been revoked. But to be honest, I'm not very clear about where you are right now - Canada or still in the US during the 30 day period.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!