How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12186
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband left me and my children, one of whom we adopted

This answer was rated:

My husband left me and my children, one of whom we adopted from birth in June 2012, for another woman and her child. She married a US citizen in April 2011 in Columbia but has been involved with my husband since November 2013. She left her husband in April of 2013. My husband leased her a Mercedes and purchased her a house for $400,000 in May 2013 put it in her name and they basically live together now. I have records of the purchase and pics and video of them moving in together. She may or may not be divorced from her "husband". Either way her and the husband are not residing together as I believe is required by immigration law. Is it possible she can lose her status in the US and be deported? I also believe it is possible my husband may have made an "arrangement" with her husband to continue the "marraige" until the 3 years required to stay married as well.Any info would be helpful, thanks

Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

So is your question basically whether you have ay standing or way to report this as a possible marriage fraud? And further, what the possible outcomes of a finding of marriage fraud are?

Also, I'm signing out for the night, but I will return tomorrow to continue assisting you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to know if what she is doing is in violation of immigration law.Having her deported I know will be up to the authorities but she left one man whom she was married to for citizenship and money and now is with another man who has more money and destroyed a family as well. My divorce atty has all the info I told you about and if she is violating immigration law all info will be turned over to the proper authorities

Hi Dara,

Sorry for the delay. I was logged off of the system when you responded. This happens from time to time, when customers are assisted at odd hours of the day.

Absolutely, remaining married for the single purpose of gaining immigration benefits is a violation of immigration laws and regulations. She is no longer in a "Good faith" marriage, which s required for gaining immigration benefits from the US.

So yes, it is possible for her to lose her status and be removed from the US.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!

Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you