How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11911
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hola, mi nombre es Gilda,quisiera saber una duda que tengo.

This answer was rated:

Hola, mi nombre es Gilda,quisiera saber una duda que tengo. Mi hija esta trabajando en Nueva Yorke en una compania de arquitectura ella se acabo de graduarse de arquitecta.A ella la estan entrenando I parte de ese entre namiento es irse a Londres. la compania le esta hacienda todos los papeles para tener la visa , ya eso esta en camino I se espera que salga la visa este lunes que viene. Yo le pregunte cuanto tiempo estaria fuera ime dijo que se iria el 28 de agosto I regresaria a primcipio del mes de Junio del ano que viene 2014, ella tiena su residencia hasta el 2021 , tengo entendido que ciendo residente no puedes estar fuera del pais mas de 9 meses,aunque la compania dijo que no deberia tener ningun problema en entrar a los Estados unidos cuando venga de esto verdad?
Hi Gilda,

Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

Because you have been waiting for so long, can I help you in English?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you want me to translate my message into English? If not, it is not a problem to answer my question in English.


Sure. I have access to translation software, but it is not always very accurate.Please go ahead and translate it for me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My daughter is working for an architecture firm in New York. They are training her and part of the training is to go to London, she is a resident and her residency expires in 2021. She is getting the visa for London this coming Monday.She told me that she is arriving in London on August 28 and returning the first week of June. I understand that being resident you can only be 9 months out of the United States. The company told her that she is not going to have any problem returning to the United States, is that true?


Yes, that is true. Although I cannot guarantee anything, a person who is outside of the US for less than 12 months should be fine to leave the US and return without issue.

Does it always go this smoothly, no. Sometimes, if the government has reason to believe she abandoned her permanent resident status, they will ask her to show that she never intended to. So long as she keeps property in the US, continues ot pay taxes, remains employed by the US employer, maintains bank accounts, etc., she can show her ties are strong to th US and therefore she has not abandoned her permanent resident status.

Again, this probably won't happen, but if it does, she should be prepared with all of this supporting evidence.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you