Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My Father is an Ex-Air force retired 20 years back from his

My Father is an Ex-Air force retired 20 years back from his services. He had done Matriculation in those days and had got few degrees from Air Force. He was a Radar and Communication expert.

And now he is around 62 years Old and he doesn't want to sit idle and is interested in continuing his education for getting updated to Current skills. He can clear GMAT easily. I need to know is he eligible for F1 Visa. Degree is my main concern as he got it from Air Force and not from Full time college.
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

So you are asking if a person who does not have a college degree can get an F-1 visa in order to go to graduate school?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, He doesn't have a College Degree. His highest qualification is Matriculation achieved approximately in the year 1968.

Hi Udaya,

Thanks for the clarification.

In order to be eligible to apply for an F-1 visa, the applicant must be enrolled in a degree granting program and he must have an I-20 issued by the school. So as you can surmise from this, if the school accepts him for enrollment in the program based on his past education, and they issue him an I-20, then he is eligible for the F-1 visa.

The US government doesn't have jurisdiction over educational institutions, to the extent that those institutions decide who they will accept for their programs, and if they decide to issue the I-20. That is for the institution itself to decide. So if they enroll him and issue him an I-20, then he should be find to get an F-1 visa.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have decided to Give Excellent service rating to you. But before that I need a confirmation about my understanding.

So, If an University say's that he is 100% eligible for doing any course in there college and give I -20 to him, then when he go for Visa stamping if they ask for full time Degree certificates. Then What should my father respond as he doesn't have the full time college degree as I said Though he got I-20.

Udaya,

No, it can't be just "any course." As I described previously, he has to be enrolled in a degree granting program. So he can't just take a any courses and be eligible. It must be a full time, degree granting program.

The US government requires the school to be accredited. Based on the accreditation, the US government allows the school to set its requirements for acceptance and enrollment. If the school determines that your father's education is sufficient to permit him to enroll in a full-time, degree granting program, then that's the school's decision to make. And if they issue him an I-20, then he is eligible for an F-1 visa.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is Retired from Indian Air-force around 25 years back(Armed forces). Will it be any issue to reject his Visa. I heard someone saying Armed persons are not allowed to enter USA.

Armed persons are different than persons who once were in the armed forces. A person cannot enter the US with a weapon (armed person) but a person who was once in the military of another country is allowed to enter. Otherwise, the US would have far fewer people than it does.

So yes a person who was once in the armed forces of another country is eligible to enter the US and to get a visa.

Thank you!