How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12288
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I used to live in the US illegally. My parents brought

This answer was rated:

Hello, I used to live in the US illegally. My parents brought me and my sisters when I was 8 and I went through school in california and graduated up to High School. I got a job offer soon after graduation. I couldn't work due to my legal status, so I decided to come back to Mexico try to apply for a visa. It was denied, however at the embassy I got told I could apply for a recidence due to my job offer. I wasn't able to keep on the proccess because I had no money left. So I stayed here in Mexico and well my sisters stayed in california. Now I wish to go visit them so I can meet my Nephews and Nieces, but my sisters only have a permission to stay due to the Dream Act. I just want to go visit them but I don't know if I will get rejected when applying for a tourist visa because of my situation. Also I have no ties other than a contract to a company i currently work for and I company I started a year ago. My question is, can I just apply directly for a tourist visa or do I need more professional help? I do not wish to stay, but I would like to meet my nephews and nieces and see my sisters again.

Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.


Yes, you are eligible to apply for a visitor visa. But unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will be approved for the visa. But you do have two things working for you: 1) the fact that you own your own business in Mexico, and 2) the fact that you have employment in Mexico.


Also, presumably, you have a home in Mexico as well, which also is helpful. And if you have family in Mexico that depends on you, then you also have that working for you. But the more things you can show evidence of that will cause you to return to Mexico, the better your chances of getting a visa.

You do not need an attorney to help you with this, but I think an attorney can help you best prepare your application, for the greatest chances of success.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you