How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28820
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

for attorney JUDITH my I-20 was deferred while I was sick

This answer was rated:

for attorney JUDITH
my I-20 was deferred while I was sick (since a few weeks).
The school will emit a new I-20.
Can I transfer to another school ? Or I must legally attend the old school since my COS was accepted.

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Your situation is a bit more complex because of the RFE.

In theory you can transfer and not go back to the language school. However, the entire RFE was based on the need to improve your language skills and therefore there is the potential of misrepresentation if you do not "stick with the program" at least for a few months before transferring.

I would suggest beginning a new program of study in January for the Spring semester.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I will go to my old school. But can I transfer in 1 month to another language school ?

I would prefer you do not complicate things while the reinstatement is pending. My recommendation as it was yesterday is to wait until you are in status.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no reinstatement. The DSO has deferred my old I-20. Or at least this is what he says.

Oh, I missed that. Sorry. Excellent.

OK so give it 4-6 weeks.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ask an I-20 of 3 months.

Then attend 6 weeks before transferring to the other language school ?

Sounds like a good plan.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. But why 6 weeks vs 4 weeks ?

There is some requirement ? Or just recommended ?


The schedule from old school (starting very early) is not convenient for me.

I am very conservative, just my recommendation.
Go ahead and do as you feel is best for you. There is nothing I am basing my 6 weeks on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can do 6 weeks. I think I will do that before transferring. After all, I could not make it without your recommendations.


Just the schedule is tough (school far and schedule starting very early).

I'm not a morning person either, so I totally understand.
I am going to be off the board for a few hours.
Judith Ludwic and 4 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you