How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109313
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On our country (Iraq) we had a birth certification rule say (if you born outside Iraq so a

This answer was rated:

On our country (Iraq) we had a birth certification rule say (if you born outside Iraq so all your Iraqi official documents should show your father place of birth in Iraq instead of your original place of birth ) (example: if you born on London and you father on Baghdad so they will put Baghdad on your Iraq IDs ) because of this all the documents that submitted on Immigration application show father place of birth , now and before 6 months ago Iraqi parliament deactivate this rule and return all the Iraqi peoples who born outside Iraq to their original place of birth and they issued a new Iraqi ID show the original place of birth , now is it possible to change the place of birth on US Social security number and green card to be match with new Iraqi passport and IDs ???? is this will be a problem or cause a delay to get a new green card ? Or cause problem when you apply for Naturalization? Please advice.

1- the applicant already has a green card since more than one year ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Do you have the new birth certificate from Iraq?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I don't , I have my original Birth certification from out side Iraq (30 years old ) stamped by Iraqi embassy on that country and I have a new copy of family certification from Iraq Gov. show the real place of birth and say that place of birth changed before to Baghdad referring to old rules .


Note : a family certification submitted before through the immigration visa application show my place of birth as my father (Iraq) not like the new one .

Ok. That may be enough. You can file an I-90 and explain what has happened in a simple cover letter just as you have done with me and you would include a copy of your birth certificate and that letter from the Iraqi government. It should take the normal time to get a new green card which is 3 to 6 months or so, maybe a little more, but you only send them a copy of your current green card front and back, you keep the original while you wait. Of course, because this was not a USCIS error, you would have to pay the filing fees for the I-90. As far a U.S. Citizenship goes, I do not see why this would cause a delay. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Guillermo , no problem for me to wait to get a new card or pay a fee but the main point for me that it will not be a problem and USCIS may they say why you didn't told us from the beginning or something like this ? may I am little confused more than what it deserve but I just want to be OK and correct this mistake that I not responsible about , it is Iraqi government .


Note : I still have my passport that I got my immigration visa on it , it show place of birth Iraq but this will be changed when I will get a new passport by using a new Iraqi IDs .

Oh, don't worry about that. That's what you are paying the fee for and providing the evidence. They would only care and say something if you were not paying the fee. I don't think you are going to have any issues with the U.S. government in that regard.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks and I have just simple questions now :


1- do I need to correct place of birth on Social security number 1st or juts on Green Card and it will automatically update the social security ? or start on both ?


2- how I will pay the fee , send a check by mail or wait USCIS directions ?


3- can I submit on I-90 line and can I attach my story on it and to which email address ?


4- currently I am outside US so can I apply from here or I have to be on US during the submitting ?

5- if I got a new passport by new Iraqi IDs with same full name and date of birth only the new place of birth , is this will cause a problem at immigration counter at airport when I want to come to US because it is not same place on Green card ? or I have to keep the current passport with me ?







1) No. That doesn't appear anywhere on the social security card anyway. You can contact them if you like, but USCIS will not automatically update anything with them.

2) Check or Money Order to Department of Homeland Security. You have to send it with the form. If you do not, they will reject it.

3) I wouldn't do it online. I build my own computers and am very familiar with the internet, but I file my things through the mail certified return receipt so that there is evidence that they received it.

4) You should be in the U.S. because they may need to fingerprint you again.

5) No because what controls your entry is the green card. So I do not foresee a problem with the new passport.

Please do not forget to rate me positively. Since I am not paid a salary, it is the only way that I get paid. You are not charged again and I will not abandon you after you rate me positively if you have additional questions. Thank you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Referring to point one , do I need to contact the SS office for same reason and provide same documents copy ? I remember that I filled a form for SS with place of birth information too, please advice .

I do not believe so. If anything, if you plan to leave the U.S. and retire outside of the U.S. after you get U.S. Citizenship, then you may want to update them. But I don't see the need to do that now.