How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108690
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I decided to transfer to Collin Community College, TX to study

This answer was rated:

I decided to transfer to Collin Community College, TX to study Computer Science from Devry University starting this fall semester (2013). This I did because Devry has become too expensive for me. In the process of transferring to Collin College, Devry University terminated my F1 status on 07/15/13 due to non registering for August(Summer class) while Collin College issued me an I-20 on 07/25/2013.
Meanwhile, Collin College has asked me to reinstate my F1 status with USCIS to complete the admission.
First, having been approved of H1, will the reinstatement affect my H1 if I go ahead with it.
Second, do I need to continue to maintain F1 status since my H1 has been approved.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

I assume that your H-1B will go into affect on October 1, 2013?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Ok. Then the trick to having no issue here is for one of two things to happen. You either have to:

1) work closely withe your school's Designated School Officer (DSO) and file for reinstatement and get this done BEFORE October 1, 2013 which I believe you have plenty of time to do, or;

2) you would have to leave the U.S. before October 1, 2013, get an H-1B visa stamp at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country, and come back no earlier than 10 days before October 1, 2013 or on or after October 1, 2013. Because there is no way that you will have 180 days or more of time out of status from 07/15/2013 to October 1, 2013, you would not have an automatic penalty to coming back if you left the U.S. to get a visa stamp.

But I always recommend trying to do everything inside of the U.S., not outside of the U.S. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions