How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109612
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good afternoon, Im in US since two years on a L1 visa.

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,

I'm in US since two years on a L1 visa. I'm Italian. I'm full time employed in a US Company. My fiancee is Italian, he has a B1 B2 visa. He lives in Italy, visiting US from time to time for his business in compliance with the rules and restrictions of his visa. We are planning to get married. Would he be entitled to live with me in US, being myself fully occupied here, maybe on a dependant visa linked to my L1 visa status? Or anyway what kin dof visa should he get, being married with me, in order to be able to stay with me for longer periods than those under his current visa. Thanks

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Well, I have good news for you. The L-1 visa allows you to marry and get an L-2 visa for your spouse. This visa will allow him to travel, study and even work in the U.S. if he also applies on form I-765 for a work permit. Here is a link where you can look at the middle of the page:



Spouses of L-1 workers may apply for work authorization by filing a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization [] with fee. If approved, there is no specific restriction as to where the L-2 spouse may work.


So you can marry over there and he can file for the L-2 visa status outside of the U.S. at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Italy, or you can marry here in the U.S. and he can file for the L-2 status by filing an I-539. But better to have him process outside so he can get a visa in in passport because if he processes inside, he gets just the status, no visa.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you.Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge.If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you