How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i ve a green card since 2007 and is considering citizenship,

This answer was rated:

i ve a green card since 2007 and is considering citizenship, pls let me know the requirements to convert to citizenship, how many years? income taxes? extended stay in usa? etcs? i dont have any criminal records, except for traffic infractions speeding tickets.
The basic requirements for green card holders to apply for US citizenship are five years of holding lawful permanent residence status in the United States, at least 30 months of physical presence in the United States within the last five years, continuous residence in the United States meaning that the individual has not been out of the United States for longer than six months at a time.

If these basic requirements are met, the individual would need to meet the good moral character requirement. The questions that determine whether the person meets this requirement are detailed on the N-400 application and primarily focus on criminal activity and national security issues. Considering that there are more than fifty questions on the N-400, it would probably be a good idea to review the N-400. Traffic infractions with a fine less than $500 do not have any impact on the US citizenship application but unpaid taxes could result in a denial.
Wilton A. Person and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you