How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109656
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i lost my f-1 student visa due to gpa. I would like to reinstate

This answer was rated:

i lost my f-1 student visa due to gpa. I would like to reinstate my status. What are my chances? Also, my sister filed i130 for me in February. IS my lost of status affect the decision of i130?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Sorry for the issues that you are having. It will mainly depend on two things:

1) How long have you been out of status?

2) What was the reason that your gpa fell?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i just learnt about it today. but i am assuming since the end of semester. The reason of why my gpa dropped so much was because i did not study. I had medical issues.

Ok, that's actually a good thing. When was the end of the semester?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

may. I read about the five month rule. is it going to help me though? If they do not approve me, does it mean that i get deported?

Well, you absolutely have to file before you are 5 months out of status. When you file for reinstatement, you will need to provide evidence of the medical issue and why it was beyond your control and how it affected your studies. You should work very closely with your Designated School Officer (DSO) in order to file quickly, on time and with the proper evidence. Here is an official link where you can read more:

And yes, I think you have a good chance if you filed quickly and if you have good supporting evidence of your medical condition and how it affected your studies.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello. It looks like you are seeing my responses but you are not responding. Are you having technical difficulties? I want to make sure that you are satisfied with my responses and have a positive experience with the website and with my service. So please let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you because I will do my best. Thank you!