How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28811
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what type of visa do i need to get for a person from the Philippines

This answer was rated:

what type of visa do i need to get for a person from the Philippines to come to the US to work as a nanny? How likely is the chance for approval?

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Unfortunately there are no temporary work visas for child care workers. The visa type is the H2B visa but it requires that you prove that the job is termporary in nature with a duration with a date certain that the need terminates, generally within 6 months to a year.

That leave the only way available to petition the person for a permanent job.


You would have to file an application for labor ertification with the Dept of Labor, advertise the position in the local paper nd list the job opening with the State Workforce Agency. If no US worker pplies for the job and you are able to prove there is no available, willing or ualified US worker to take the position, your application will be approved. You have to offer the job at the prevailing wage that the Dept of Labor
determines it to be.

Then you have to file a petition for the unskilled worker.

There are visa quotas and there is more demand for visas than numbers

Therefore this person will take 8-10 years to get to the top of the list for a
visa number.

She ot come to the US or work while you are waiting for her
Yes, the process is in place for you to go through to bring in a foreign
worker but the wait is totally impractical.

There is a provision in the immigration reform law that passed the Senate and which is being debated in Congress for a new "W" unskilled worker category which would include visas for child care workers. We should know in a few months if this will be passed. That would then give you an option.




Judith Ludwic and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions