How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12304
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

N400 Tax Filing Question

This answer was rated:

I am currently filing for naturalization. I am unclear as to what the response should be to the following questions however, "Since becoming a lawful permanent resident, have you ever failed to file a required Federal, State, or local tax return?" Through an oversight I neglected to file my state tax (2005) on time. I did however file last year and the amount owed was paid off. Do I answer yes and attach an explanation and if so are there any possible negative outcomes?


Of note: I did file my federal return for that year on time and I became a permanent resident in 2005.

Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

The answer to this question is yes. You can then provide an explanation as to the circumstances, as well as proof that this has been addressed and corrected.

Tax transcripts will be fine for this purpose. You can find information on getting tax transcripts by going here:


Because this already has been corrected and your filings and any payments required have been completed, and because it happened so long ago (more than 5 years), this should not have any negative impact on your application.


Don't be too concerned. You'd be surprised at just how many people this happens to. It's much more common than you would think.


I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!

Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you!