How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12056
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am completing the application for Citizenship. My concern

Customer Question

I am completing the application for Citizenship. My concern is that I had a DUI in March 2003. I know I have to disclose this but the only paper work I have is the court order. The records were expunged since I completed the ARD. I tried to get information from the attorney who defended my case but he said he does not have records going back that far. Do you think the court order will be sufficient? Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

What does the court order say? Does it include the information about the arrest, charges, and final disposition?


And have you contacted the court through which this case went, in order to get any documentation about this case? I know you mentioned the records were expunged, but have you sought documentation from the court that says that no records are available, or alternatively, that indicates that the records were expunged or the ACD agreement with the court?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have contacted the court and this order is all they came up with. It talks about the motion to expunge the record. Then it lists all the information including the disposition - ARD and reason for expungement - ARD completed.

Expert:  Expert James replied 4 years ago.
Hi Angela,

Thanks for the information. This should be fine, as long as it shows the date of arrest, the reason for the arrest, the charge, and the disposition. I can't tell from what you've told me so far that all of this information is included in the certified copies of the court records.

But if it is not, then you will need to provide evidence from the agency explaining that this is all that is available. The US government wants to know that if you do not have everything generally required, it is because it is unavailable.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions