How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12197
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to find out if i have a claim for US citizenship

Customer Question

I am trying to find out if i have a claim for US citizenship through my grandmother. she was the only parent on my mothers birth certificate and she has nether had any farther rights. her mother married and became a US citizen when my mum was 6 in 1976.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

Please bear with me - these claims to citizenship can be very complicated, especially when you are claiming through a grandparent. I will need to ask you several questions before we can come to a conclusion.

I understand your grandfather was not on your mother's birth certificate, but were your grandparents married when your mother was born in 1970?

How long did your grandmother live in the US, and from what age?

Did your mother live in the US with her mother? If so, for how long? Did your mother ever become a permanent resident?

You said "she" became a US citizen when your mother was 6... who is "she," your grandmother or your great-grandmother?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My mother janine was born out of wedlock and her farther has nether been in the picture.


my grandmother married a US service man and lived with him on diffierent stations in the UK, Europe, and USA, since 1972 and for at least the last 30 years has lived in the USA, she was naturlised in 1976 in the states.


my mother lived with her on and off, when she was a child, but nether whilst they were stationed in america ( she lived with her aunt whilst her mother was in america). however when my mother was 27 she, me, my brother, and my farther all moved to america on green cards and lived there for 2 years.


My grandmother became an american citizen when she was 26, my mother janine was 6 years old when this happened and was living in the uk with her aunt, but that was nether official.

Expert:  Expert James replied 4 years ago.
How old were you when you lived in the US with the green card?

And on what basis did your mother become a permanent resident, through her mother?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i lived in the US from the age of 2-4 1986-1988.


yes her mother sponsored all of us to live in the US

Expert:  Expert James replied 4 years ago.
Hi Samantha,

I'm afraid I don't have very good news to share. While I always do my best to come up with a good solution to a customer's situation, often times, the law does not provide a good solution, which unfortunately I cannot change that. This is one of those times. But please remember that I am only here as an information source, so please do not hold bad news against me by giving me a negative rating.

In order for your grandparent to pass on citizenship to you, it must be because your parent was a US citizen "at birth," but unable to "transmit" citizenship to you because your parent did not live in the US before your birth.

Because your mother was not a US citizen at the time of your birth, it is not possible to get citizenship through your grandmother.

I'm very sorry. I tried to go through the law to come up with a possible argument, but the lack of the very basic requirement of your mother being a US citizen made at the time of your birth made it impossible.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!