How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28930
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in Germany right now, bound to fly home today in the afternoon.

This answer was rated:

I am in Germany right now, bound to fly home today in the afternoon. Last night I noticed that my husband, who left for home two days ago, inadvertently took my green card with him, such that it is now in Boston with him. I do have a copy of the green card, and my husband will pick me up from the airport.

What is my best (and fastest) course of action?

Here are the details:
- My flight leaves today in the afternoon.
- I am supposed to travel with my two kids (9 and 13), who are US citizens (and have all their paper work.
- My husband left two days ago and is now in Boston. He is in possession of the green card.
- I entered the US four weeks ago, also with my kids.

Is there any way to get to Boston and there get my green card from my husband or do I need him to send it to me?

Thank you!
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
Do you have any temporary stamp in your passport showing termpoary evidence if your I551 status?
The issue is we have to get you on the flight. Once you land you husband can had turned your card over to secondary insepction for admittance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I looked through my passport and cannot find any stamp that would say I551 on it. How would that have to look like?

It would be adgacent to the stamp on your page where you were prcessed by the immigration office upon your entry on your intitial entry..
Wjy is your card missimhg?Judityh
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Initially, I did not enter with a green card - I got the green card while I was in the US.


The reason I don't have my card with me is that it was stored between some books my husband took home for me two days ago - and I noticed it missing it only late last night. He found it in the meantime.

You need to go to the US embassy and t=get an d'SB1 returning visa in order to board a flifht outsi9de to the US/

You can get a sp-ecial qppoinement for the BQ1 Visa through the 'a'merican 'citizens cervies.



Can he fedex it to you for the next available flighty?



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I guess he can fedex it overnight. (The next consulate that does visas is in Frankfurt, I am in Munich, I guess fedexing is the easier and faster option.)


So what you are saying is that the copy of my green card is not enough to get me onto the flight?


Is there any sense in going to the airport and at least trying? (I need to do this anyway, since my kids should be on the flight and I need to go there with them.)


Many thanks!


There is no harm in trying. It would not make you inadmissible or put a black mark on you in any way.



Judith Ludwic and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



thanks! I did this and it worked basically without a glitch, I am back home. (Your last answer, by the way, already was too late but I had decided to do exactly that anyway.)


Thanks, Susanne

Hi Suzanne

Hurray. I am glad you were able to use the photocopy and apologies for the delay in answering. We do have private practices that keep us off the boards at times.