How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi ! I am on F2 visa in USA started from march 2013 upto

This answer was rated:

Hi !
I am on F2 visa in USA started from march 2013 upto march 2018 .My husband is studying MBA in Houston. I want to start working in near future (say in 4-5 months). In order to get work permit, can my uncle,who is US citizen can help me in any ways.
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
Do you have a degree?
Does your uncle own a business that can show they have jobs using your degree?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for ur response.
Yes I have graduation in computers and MBA degree from uncle and aunt are both in job with 2 under18 kids.
But does your uncle own a company that can hire you to do work using your computer or MA education?
You cannot work taking care of children.
You have to find a professional job using your degrees.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So can he not sponsor me for green card ?

He does not qualify to sponsor you for a green card.

Becoming a LPR

There are 5
ways to come to the U.S.
to live permanently. They are through family, through employment, through
asylum, through investment, or through the lottery.

family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen
children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or
Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent
Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12
years or so.

employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away
a job from a U.S.
worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to

asylum, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you
stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your
nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular
social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your
country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or if
you want a temporary visa, probably at least $100,000 or $200,000 investment to

through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas
available per year.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any way in which I can apply for job even on f2 visa ? Specially in banking sector and do banks can reject my application only on basis of my nationality or work permit status ?
It is unlawful for you to work.
You can be interviewed and even hired by an employer but you have 3 days to produce your work permit or you are fired.
There is no way for you to work under the F2 and there are no work visas available until 10/01/2014.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok so if I buy a house worth $ 100,000 or a little more ,can I then be eligible for applying for work permit ?
No buying a residence does not make you eligible for a work permit even if you spend $1 Million.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your patient replies !
Most probably last question .....and if I enroll for some online courses or distance education program from some university can after finishing those courses ,will I be eligible for some work permit ?
No, distance learning does not make you eligible for cirriculum or optional practical training.

Judith Ludwic and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you