How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Planning marriage to my lady from Taiwan (we have been "together"

Customer Question

Planning marriage to my lady from Taiwan (we have been "together" in two different countries, with Visitor Visas for 8 years, and engaged for one year). I worked in Taiwan for 13 years, 1993 to 2006. I am divorced from a US citizen (MT divorce) since June 2008.

1. What is the quickest way to marry and be together in US (I live in the SF Bay Area). We have been debating a Taiwan marriage Vs. getting married in US (probably in nearby Nevada).
2. Pre-marriage agreement? I would like to put an agreement in place that protects my assets if the marriage should fail. Should it be in both Mandarin Chinese and English; her English is reasonable but somewhat limited, thus risk of agreement being valid?
Submitted: 4 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 4 years ago.
Anytime an individual can obtain valid legal documents in the United States, this is generally the better option because it avoids any potential complications with respect to translations or validity of the marriage document.

The preferred manner in which the immigration process can be completed relatively quickly is the K-1 fiancé visa which would allow your fiancee to enter the United States and marry within ninety days and then file the adjustment of status application using USCIS I-130 and I-485. The K-1 visa generally takes about six months or so to process but may be faster because your fiancée already has a solid immigration profile of eight years. All of the forms are found online at USCIS under forms.

Again, a document in English is better but it may be a good idea to have language within the agreement in which the parties include language that confirms that the person understands the agreement irrespective of the fact that it is in English.

Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 4 years ago.
Please advise if you have additional questions or need clarification prior to rating a response to be fair to all parties.

Related Immigration Law Questions