How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108690
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I met a girl from Ireland when i was 17 she was 19. Im a united

This answer was rated:

I met a girl from Ireland when i was 17 she was 19. I'm a united states citizen but she is not. She is Irish. she came onto me and we had sex. she got pregnant and left back to Ireland because the people she was living with kicked her out. She had the child in Ireland and my name is XXXXX XXXXX the birth certificate. I have seen the child around every 4 years or so for the last 13 years . the child is 13 now. I want the child to come live with me but the child doesn't want to live with me the child wants to live with a friend of her moms. The mom keeps harassing me to get the child u.s. Citizenship but the child does not want to live with me and in my defense i don't feel comfortable getting the child citizenship and being responsible for the child when the child wants to live with someone else. The mom threatens that she can get a lawyer and get the citizenship through me that way and get me for thirteen years back child support. I have supported the child but i have just been sending cash to her for the last thirteen years. question is can she force me to get the child citizenship and pay back support even if the child doesn't want to live with me? And even if she was an adult and had sex with me as a minor and then left the county? I feel like she is just using me to get the child citizenship so then the mom can get citizenship and they can live with her friends and to get more money from me. Its like the child doesn't want nothing to do with me. Is there anything i can do to protect myself or prevent this from happening? How will the laws work in that situation?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

What is the child's date of birth? How much of your income have you paid in child support since the child was born?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the child was born in march 2000 and i dont know exact amount it wasnt a monthy payment i just sent her money every few months or so

But you have no idea how much money per month you sent every year?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there were years i was unenployed and it was all cash so i dont have recipts. so far this year about $2500. i have a minimum wage paying jobso i cant afford to send much

Well, since the child lives in Ireland, the courts there would have jurisdiction over this case. If she lived in Florida, I am licensed in Florida and could tell you what you would have to end up paying over this period modified by your income from 2000 to 2013 minus what you already paid. I don't think it would be that much, but since she lives in Ireland, I cannot tell you what the Ireland courts would do. Since I want to make sure you get the best answer, I will Opt Out of your question and I will forward it to the Republic of Ireland forum and an expert there should be able to help you. Sorry for the delay and inconvenience, but like I said, I would rather lose out on getting paid for your question to make sure that you got a correct answer from an expert in Ireland. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i would like you not to forward this to anyone please. i will pay the remaining $25 for your time thank you

But that's not fair to you. If I do not give you at least come information that has some value to you, you should at least get a refund. Would you like a refund? Also, do not be afraid, I am not going to ask you for any private information. So let me know what you would like to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no. thats fine.

Well, I will give you at least an answer in regards XXXXX XXXXX law. Since the child lives in Ireland, she would have to file an action in Ireland. Then IF she is successful in Ireland, she would have to domesticate that judgment in the Florida courts in order to be able to get any money from you. It would not be an easy process because the Florida courts could invalidate part of that judgment or modify it. I will give you some links now that you can study that may be helpful:

Please let me know if you need anything else. Thank you so much and good luck to you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you