How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109636
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live and work in NYC with an H1-B visa (currently in the

This answer was rated:

I live and work in NYC with an H1-B visa (currently in the process for applying a permanent residence card). A company in Hong Kong wants to wire transfer payment from Hong Kong to my U.S. bank account for an article that I wrote for the company's blog on its website. Is getting paid by a company outside of U.S. acceptable for H1-B holders under the U.S. immigration law? (I understand that I am not allowed to work for any other companies in the U.S. other than my H1-B sponsor but I assume receiving such payment from a company outside of U.S. is not a problem.) Thank you.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

The payment is not from a U.S. source at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, the payment source is not from a U.S. source. It is from Hong Kong and will be sent from a bank account in Hong Kong, I believe the bank is HSBC.


Then that should be fine. The idea of the restrictions upon you is that you not take away a job from a U.S. worker and if you are being paid totally from a non-U.S. source, that should be fine. But make sure your accountant knows that the payment needs to be reflected as an outside of the U.S. source. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you