How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a South Korean citizen, who worked in the US form July

This answer was rated:

I am a South Korean citizen, who worked in the US form July 2008 to April 2009 has lived in the UK since April 2009 on a temporary working visa.

I work for a US company who will be sponsoring an L-1 visa for me to return to work in the US.

The plan is to return to the country in January or February 2014, but with some possibility that that date will be extended.

Two questions: 1) Approximately how long does it take between applying for L-1 visa and getting it 2) After receiving L-1 visa, within what period do I need to enter the country?

Thank you.
Thank you for your question. 1) If there are not requests for evidence issued, the normal processing time is generally 120 days or less. However, the L visa is eligible for expedited processing which means that a decision would be made within 15 calendar days and it is possible that the visa could be issued within 45 days under this scenario. The expedited fee is an additional $1225.

2) Within a request for extension, it is generally necessary to enter the United States at least ten days prior to the employment start date. Unlike family based visas, there is not a six month period to enter the United States, the date is controlled by the start date under most circumstances.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX reply is very much appreciated.


Follow-up question to 2) --> I presume then that the way the visa is applied for by my company is by providing a start date for the visa (my employment start date in the US), which would need to be confirmed by me and the company beforehand. Correct?

You are welcome. Yes, you are correct. The start date is the driver as to when you would be eligible to enter the United States.
Wilton A. Person and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you