How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28828
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think I already asked this question but can nit find a recored

This answer was rated:

I think I already asked this question but can nit find a recored of it. I expect to marry my fiancee early next year. She has a 14 year old son living in china with relatives. She prefers he finish high school in china. He will graduate at age 17 and then turn 18 two weeks later. Our question is this: we have heard it may be more difficult for him to be approved for a visa to live with us here in the USA after he turns 18. Can we request a visa for him at age 17 and will it still apply once he turns 18 or will we have to request a new visa once he turns 18? Our plan is for him to live with us while he attends college here. Is it more difficult to secure a visa at 18? Will we be able to apply at age 17 even if he does not come here until age 18?
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
No need for any worries here.
As long as you marry the mother before the child turns 18 (which you are) then you can petition the child as your step-son and he can get his visa anytime before he turns 21.
So you can file for him about 9 months before you want him to travel to the US to live and he can then come here to go to university.
It is not any more difficult for him to get a visa at 18 then it is for him to get it now.

Judith Ludwic and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you