Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I think I already asked this question but can nit find a recored

of it. I expect to...
I think I already asked this question but can nit find a recored of it. I expect to marry my fiancee early next year. She has a 14 year old son living in china with relatives. She prefers he finish high school in china. He will graduate at age 17 and then turn 18 two weeks later. Our question is this: we have heard it may be more difficult for him to be approved for a visa to live with us here in the USA after he turns 18. Can we request a visa for him at age 17 and will it still apply once he turns 18 or will we have to request a new visa once he turns 18? Our plan is for him to live with us while he attends college here. Is it more difficult to secure a visa at 18? Will we be able to apply at age 17 even if he does not come here until age 18?
6/30/2013
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
No need for any worries here.
As long as you marry the mother before the child turns 18 (which you are) then you can petition the child as your step-son and he can get his visa anytime before he turns 21.
So you can file for him about 9 months before you want him to travel to the US to live and he can then come here to go to university.
It is not any more difficult for him to get a visa at 18 then it is for him to get it now.

Judith
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer